21 October 2011

Día de descanso

Dan contacted, via email, three realtors.  One has called back so far.  We want to get a look at the inside of the houses around here, to get a sense of typical room layouts, prices vs values, etc.  So what did we do today?  Moved from bed to table to chair, even outside the front door with chair to sit in the sun.  Waiting for realtors to call us.  We have our first tour tomorrow morn.  The realtor stressed the fact that this was a big house.  Did not look that big to us.  Some houses here are bigger than anything we have seen in the US.  Of course there are some tiny ones too.

Fried sweet onion and put over fresh fish, which was labeled as bass, but it seemed too soft for that.  Very nice, whatever it was.  Since the cooking stove and pans here are limited, I first started the fresh green beans in water and then cut and boiled a red potato with them.  Now this is interesting.  The Mexicans put red food dye on the red potatoes to make them more red.  Also they use the die on the chicken, because the Mexican ladies like the meat more colored, not the pale chicken meat we are used to.  Personally I always thought that dark white chicken or skin meant an old tough bird.  The stores have a fair amount of organic food.

The last few hours of the day we might watch TV in English, just like in the US.  Last eve, we did a couple crossword puzzles instead of TV.  A wee note--I am officially now old.  At the airport in Mexico City I was offered a wheelchair.  Pictures to prove my skills are improving with my new camera + the fact that even Dan relaxes.

Oh ! I had a major breakthrough today! I finally spoke in Spanish to our maid.  I told her "Yoy no comprendo mucho español."  I did not want her to think that I was merely ignoring her remarks.  She is very nice. Well actually I asked Ania for a glass of agua in Spanish too.  I might learn Spanish in spite of myself.  Peggy (& Dart, Happy Birthday!) got in touch via Skype about this time, and I gave her a brief visual tour carrying this netbook w/webcam around with me. Now I will read while Dan checks this over and adds his tidbits.  He will also add the pictures.